Minimally invasive laparoscopic procedures are an expanding component of OBGYN practise. We have now put together a bespoke package specifically for this group of clinicians, be they in training or working on continued skills development. The eoSim + SurgTrac OBGYN provides an immersive, pragmatic, affordable, and portable environment in which to refine OBGYN-specific MIS techniques.
As well as the ergonomic eoSim MIS box trainer, and in-built instrument tracking for feedback, we have developed a stepwise curriculum of tasks specific to OBGYN. Early tasks refine core laparoscopic skills whilst subsequent modules are advanced and OBGYN-specific.
- Peg Thread: work on core skills of fine instrument control, depth perception, and economy of movement
2. Precision Cutting: improve tissue handling and precise cutting
3. Tube ligation: simulate fallopian tube ligation
4. Cyst Dissection: simulate ovarian cyst dissection
5. Suture & Tie: learn sound suturing technique, an advanced laparoscopic skill
6. Horizontal Suture: replicating closure of the vaginal vault in a total abdominal hysterectomy
This package also includes access to the SurgTrac Elite, Advanced, Core and FLS skills courses. Moreover, as with all eoSim packages, the platform is mobile-ready. As such, you can simply use your smartphone or tablet for full functionality. For individual trainees, you can follow your improvement and log simulation sessions via our SurgTrac platform. For cohorts of trainees, we can deliver an institutional package allowing trainers to monitor trainee progression via a team dashboard.
In this covid-era, surgical simulation is even more important. Opportunities in theatre are fewer for most trainees. Our OBGYN-specific platform will allow you to optimise learning and performance, as illustrated by the ever-growing evidence-base for eoSurgical simulators.
Consultant neurosurgeon and honorary clinical lecturer, Edinburgh